PonyArpee of Doooooom!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rules of the road!

Go down

Rules of the road! Empty Rules of the road!

Post by Princess Celestia Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:33 pm

Ladies, gentlemen, and others, welcome to the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic "Five Score, Divided By Four" roleplay forum.

I started this roleplay group because (as of this writing) I have eight years of chat-room roleplay experience, and greatly enjoy that hobby. However, this is my first ever forum-based roleplay.

Why roleplay this at all? Well, as much as I enjoyed the actual story from FIMFiction's TwistedSpectrum (link below), there are people (myself included) who felt it really dropped the ball with some of the characterizations, particularly in regards to Pinkie Pie.

In other words, I loved the IDEA of the story, but felt it lacking in EXECUTION in areas. But the neat idea was still there--and we wouldn't be here if not for TwistedSpectrum's story. That author was the Bonnie Zacherle (creator of MLP franchise) of fanfiction, and this collaborative roleplay aims to be the Lauren Faust of the story.

...Wait. I take that back. Lauren Faust has ten times the talent we do, and the current showrunners like Meghan McCarthy have at least six times as much. To think we'll reach that level is insulting to those that made the show great.

I mean, in the end, we're just fans. Fans of a wonderful series, who want to play out a scenario dreamed up by TwistedSpectrum, and try and have some fun with a story that became so popular, FIMFiction had to make new rules restricting new spinoffs therein.

In the end, while we do set the bar high for ourselves, the idea that this could approach the transcendent quality and appeal of the show itself is laughable. Because of this, please don't come in expecting a masterpiece--we're just fans, doing this for fun, on our own time. We're not getting paid to do this; the quality of the story we weave will be reward in itself...as much as we'd LIKE to get paid for this, anyway.

On that note, may as well lay down the ground rules.

One: Don't be a pain in the flank. Each player is bringing their own take on their assigned character, and if the resulting story is good, we should respect that player's view therein.

Two: Don't feel like the human character HAS to be just like the pony before the changes. Go ahead and make a medical doctor turn into Rainbow Dash, or a jock turn into Fluttershy, or someone who doesn't drink turn into Berry Punch, or a wheelchair-bound person turn into one of the Wonderbolts. Mind, if it's written well, I won't care what the origin is. Make parallels, use foreshadowing, I don't care--similar or different, what matters most is story quality. (Just remember that in addition to the physical, there are mental changes too.)

Three: Yes, OC ponies are allowed, though we'd prefer if you picked an established character if one you like is available. However, you must run your OC ideas by me first--we don't want any super-special-awesome Mary Sues hogging the spotlight.

Four: No, an OC can't be an alicorn. Period. This rule is in place to keep with the spirit of Lauren Faust's statement regarding alicorns: "If it were up to me, there would be only two." Cadance is grandfathered in, however. But no more than that! We don't want the concept diluted any further!

Five: If you're the kind of person that comes to a forum or chat room and always types in all-lowercase or doesn't use proper punctuation or the like, don't even bother signing up. We wouldn't read a book that was formatted like this. We're not expecting absolutely perfect grammar, of course (I'm sure there are examples of bad grammar above), we just want the story to be well-formatted. We've set the bar pretty high for ourselves, and we don't want laziness hindering our enjoyment of the story--after all, it's highly unlikely that BOTH Shift keys AND the Caps Lock button have broken. (And if they have...please get a new keyboard ASAP.)

Six: No controlling others' characters. Yes, characters will inevitably meet up, but each player-character will still be controlled by that player, with each post containing that character's words and actions.

Seven: This is a PG-13-rated game. I know the original story got pretty...perverted at times. While Rule 34 does exist and all, I still want this game to be friendly to as many newcomers as possible. That said, if the character WOULD swear if the situation called for it, feel free to have them do so. I just want it to MEAN something, as opposed to saying them every fifth word and making it lose its punch. But anyway, while characters CAN have sex, anything more detailed than noting (after the fact) that they are lying in 'tangled, sweat-stained sheets' is not allowed.

Other than that...go right ahead and knock yourself out! Have fun!

The story that inspired it all: http://www.fimfiction.net/story/93383/five-score-divided-by-four

Last edited by Cold Snap on Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:07 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : sticky'd)
Princess Celestia
Princess Celestia

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum